IHOP® RESTAURANTS CELEBRATE 56 YEARS OF BEING AMERICA'S FAVORITE BREAKFAST
BEST BIRTHDAY EVER! IHOP® RESTAURANTS CELEBRATE 56 YEARS OF BEING AMERICA’S FAVORITE BREAKFAST BY OFFERING A SHORT STACK OF BUTTERMILK PANCAKES FOR JUST 56 CENTS!
For One Day Only, Tuesday July 8, from 7 AM to 7PM, Participating IHOP Restaurants Will Offer their World Famous Buttermilk Pancakes for Less than they Cost on Opening Day in 1958!
GLENDALE, CA. – (June 18, 2014) The year was 1958: There were 3 major television stations on the air, a gallon of gas cost a whopping 24 cents, the hula hoop had just been invented, and in Toluca Lake, California, Al and Jerry Lapin opened the very first International House of Pancakes, complete with iconic blue roof. They had one goal in mind that warm day in July: to provide every guest who walked in the door with the very best in food and service.
56 years later, there are now 1,627 IHOP® restaurants in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the Philippines, the U.S. Virgin Islands and soon, Guam. And every one of those restaurants still shares that same goal: providing the very best in food and seyearsrvice to every guest, every time.
In celebration of 56 years of great food, service, and “everything you love about breakfast ®,” on Tuesday July 8th, 2014, from 7AM to 7 PM, participating IHOP restaurants around the country will be offering guests a short stack of their world famous buttermilk pancakes—still the most popular item on the menu after 56 —for just 56 cents—less than their original cost of 60 cents when the first IHOP restaurant opened its doors in 1958!
“The 56th Anniversary Celebration is about more than just an incredible milestone in our history,” said Julia Stewart, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Dine Brands Global, and Interim President, International House of Pancakes, LLC. “It is also a chance to celebrate—and thank—our wonderful guests who have made our brand part of their lives all these years. That’s why we are highlighting our world famous buttermilk pancakes. Along with our excellent service and friendly staff, they are an IHOP staple that has kept everyone happily coming back for more than five decades.”
Guests who have dined at IHOP restaurants since they were children are now bringing in their own families, creating new memories, and enjoying the brand’s legendary service, friendly atmosphere, and delicious dishes. In addition to the buttermilk pancakes and eggs prepared any way a guest may request, other favorites include French toast, waffles, omelettes, and freshly-brewed coffee.
Some fun facts about America’s favorite breakfast place through the years:
- The acronym “IHOP” was introduced 15 years after the first restaurant opened.
- The first IHOP outside of the United States opened in 1969 in Canada, making it truly an“international” house of pancakes.
- Both the famous buttermilk pancakes and tasty chocolate chip pancakes have been onIHOP’s menu since it was created 56 years ago.
- IHOP serves more than 700 million pancakes each year.
- More than 100 million cups of coffee are served at IHOP locations every year.
- For its 56th birthday, IHOP is featuring three refreshing summer variations on its classicbuttermilk pancakes: Raspberry Peach Pancakes, Blueberry Cannoli Pancakes, andStrawberry Banana Cream Pie Pancakes. These fun, indulgent twists are just the latestin a long line of specialty pancakes featured over the years, such as:
- Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Eggnog Pancakes
- Gingerbread Pancakes
- New York Cheesecake Pancakes
- Pumpkin Praline Pancakes
- Red Velvet Pancakes
- Tiramisu Pancakes
- Banana Graham Pancakes
- Through it all, the best-selling IHOP menu item is still the classic buttermilk pancakes.
Check out these interesting facts about life in the US in 1958, 56 years ago:
- The average yearly income was less than $5,000
- A loaf of bread cost 19 cents
- A house cost $30,000
- Elvis Presley began serving in the US Army
- The first successful American satellite was put into orbit
- The Huckleberry Hound Show premiered
- IHOP pancakes were just as delicious as they are now!
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PANCAKES, LLC
For over 55 years, International House of Pancakes, LLC has been a leader and expert in all things breakfast and a leader in family dining. The chain is highly competitive in its menu offering, serving 65 different signature, made-to-order breakfast options as well as a range of meals under 600 calories. Beyond offering “everything you love about breakfast, ®” IHOP® restaurants have a wide selection of popular lunch and dinner items, as well. IHOP restaurants offer guests an affordable, everyday dining experience with warm and friendly service. As of March 31, 2014, there were 1,627 IHOP restaurants in 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the Philippines and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Under the licensed name IHOP at HOME® consumers can also enjoy a line of premium breakfast products available at leading retailers. IHOP restaurants are franchised and operated by Glendale, Calif.-based International House of Pancakes, LLC and its affiliates. International House of Pancakes, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dine Brands Global (NYSE: DIN). For more information or to find an IHOP restaurant near you, please visit www.IHOP.com. Follow IHOP on Facebook and Twitter.